Human Factors Undergraduate Engineer 2023
MBDA Missile Systems – Together. For the Future of Defence.
Human Factors 10 month Undergraduate Placement
The Human Factors Department at MBDA is one of the most experienced in the UK! Working within this team provides a unique opportunity to learn about Human Factors within the UK Defence Industry, providing a highly supportive and structured environment to develop skills and put knowledge into practice.
What's the opportunity?
The placement is an opportunity for you to develop an appreciation for how people interact with sophisticated equipment and systems from a cognitive and physiological perspective. This will involve conducting research tasks and identifying new technologies that will shape the way military personnel use their equipment in the future. There is the potential opportunity to get "hands on" with kit and work with military users.
Examples of day-to-day activities are provided below. As long as you have a passion to learn and are able to use your integrity and intuition to work out the most suitable course of action, on the job training and guidance will be provided to support you in developing within these areas throughout your placement:
- Taking a Human Centred Design (HCD) approach to the development of sophisticated systems
- Supporting the planning and conduct of User Experimentation and trials with military users on prototype through to real weapon system equipment and software.
- Carrying out individual research tasks, to provide recommendations and solve problems.
- Conducting workspace assessments and anthropometric modelling tasks.
- Designing and prototyping Human Computer Interface (HCI) / Human Machine Interface (HMI) concepts.
- Supporting the development and application of technologies, such as Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence, in future systems.
- Writing reports and creating presentations on areas you've been working on.
Entry criteria, Salary and Start Date
We are looking for someone who is passionate about understanding real-life, practical issues that military users face working in the modern battlespace, often in very technically exciting environments. To be considered for the role, you must:
- Be studying a current undergraduate course in Psychology, User Centred Design, User Experience Design, Ergonomics/Human Factors, Product Design, Systems Engineering or Cognitive Science.
- Be able to adapt well to changing goals and requirements.
- Have great interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team or individually.
- £20,000 salary (pro rata)
- 10 month placement to start September 2023
Why choose us?
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.
Apply now by clicking here, or using the 'apply now' button below.
MBDA UK Limited
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multinational group with 10,000 employees at industrial facilities in France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Spain and the United States.