Masters by Research: Delkia
Get paid to do a Masters with the Centre for Global Eco-Innovation at Lancaster University and Delkia.
- Get paid £16,000 tax-free.
- Have your tuition fees reduced. Your partner company pays £2,200 towards your fees, meaning students eligible for home fees pay only £2,300. International students will need to pay the remaining £20,050.
- Be part of the multi award winning Centre for Global Eco-Innovation within a cohort of talented graduates working on exciting business-led R&D.
- The Centre is based at Lancaster University, so you will gain your Masters from a Top Ten University, recognised as The Sunday Times University of the Year 2018 and International University of the Year 2020.
- Finish in a strong position to enter a competitive job market in the UK and overseas or progress on to further study.
Development of a new integrated technology panel for use on or with maritime and aviation platforms that harnesses electrical energy through differential temperature.
The imperative to either save energy or generate it from sources that have minimal environmental impact now dominates the research and innovation field across numerous commercial sectors. Alternative options such as hydrogen, solar power and wind power are currently attracting great interest however, there are many other sources of energy that have the potential to be scavenged and converted into electrical energy to complement battery-based systems.
This 1 year Masters by Research project offers a unique opportunity to develop a new type of innovative energy harnessing and recovery system for implementation into multiple sectors including marine and Aerospace exploring the application of the Peltier effect to exploit temperature gradients between the internal and external environment. The project aims to advance the field of Smart Peltier panels for these sectors.
The business and academic support
The objective of this project is to demonstrate, through a single scalable panel, the feasibility of constructing a structure that effectively functions as a component of a pressure vessel that can generate significant power from temperature gradients between the external and internal environment. The research will explore adaptability to ensure that panels will self-configure within the network and deliver relative to the wider network performance and condition. Adaptability within manufacture will also be explored to ensure a seamless transition between applications with differing structural specifications. Of importance will be to deliver a scalable demonstrator that features all necessary electronics, sensors and both structural and power interfaces that could be transferred into production.
Delkia is a specialist Systems Integrator operating throughout the UK and internationally for highly regulated sectors including nuclear and defence. Their offer includes digital engineering, engineering design, systems consultancy, systems integration, build-to-print, control panel build, and complex control systems support.
This Masters by Research project will be supervised by Professor Andrew Richardson and Dr David Chenler from the Lancaster University Engineering Department.
You have: a 2:1 degree or above in Engineering, Physics or a Materials Science related field.
You have: excellent English language skills.
What you will gain
- Work alongside a business partner gaining enviable industry experience
- Gain input from a team of academic supervisors
- Gain a tax-free stipend each year
- Have reduced tuition fees
- Access a research budget for travel and consumables
- Further your career with a postgraduate application
- Develop links with both the business and academic community
- Help to solve a real-world problem which allows a shift to a low carbon economy
This project is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund and is subject to funding confirmation.
Currently ranked as a top 10 UK university and in the top 125 universities in the world, Lancaster continues to sustain its reputation for teaching and research excellence both nationally and internationally.
Elsewhere on graduatejobs
Related :masters research delkia lancaster
People who applied for this job also applied for:
Audit Graduate Trainee (Financial Services) - Immediate Start - Milton Keynes
South East, Milton Keynes
Technology Graduate Trainee - Immediate Start
Data Analyst (Financial Services) - London
Data Analyst (Industry and Services) - London
Graduate Technical Consultant
Business Analyst Graduate Programme