Policy Advisers Graduate Programme (London)
- Competitive plus benefits
- London, Nationwide
- Apply by:
- 25th November 2018
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
About HM Treasury
The work of HM Treasury touches life in more ways than you probably ever imagined.
From local devolution to international tax evasion, our graduates develop policies that drive governmental decisions and make a real difference to millions of people all over the UK every day.
We maintain control over public spending, decide how money is raised from taxpayers, set the direction of the UK’s economic policy and work to achieve strong and sustainable economic growth. It means we influence every policy across every government department.
About the role
We’re now looking for Policy Advisers to join our graduate programme in
April 2019 and September 2019. You’ll be working on the biggest issues
facing the country and have a real impact on peoples’ lives. Working
with the guidance and support of a manager and wider team, previous
Policy Advisers have:
• Negotiated on Iran sanctions
• Developed the Government’s first Islamic Finance bond
• Worked to put in place funding for key national infrastructure, such as
• HS2 rail
• Contributed to the development of the UK’s future customs and trade policy
• Developed regional devolution agreements, devolving powers to local areas
Whatever the policy area you work in, we don’t think you can find responsibility, challenge or fulfilment like it anywhere else.
About the programme
The programme is three years long, with two 18-month placements. You’ll have an initial 2 weeks training, covering how Parliament works, policy making and the legal framework, stakeholder management and workplace communication skills.
After this you’ll spend 18 months in your first role developing deep subject matter knowledge, while researching, analysing and evaluating complex data to develop or enhance policy ideas. You might write briefings for Ministers and senior managers.
You could be responding to written questions from MPs or members of the public.
There’s every chance you’ll be managing challenging projects too. Throughout, you can expect to work with all sorts of government departments, external organisations and individuals to debate and shape policy.
At the end of the 18 months, you’ll have real expertise in that specific area – it could be anything from higher education or international tax avoidance to public health or infrastructure spending.
You’ll then spend your next 18 months in another role.
Depending on your preferences and the needs of the department, you could deepen your knowledge in one area, or work in a different area to broaden your experience.
We welcome those from all academic backgrounds. It doesn’t matter when you completed your degree. Some of our Policy Advisers join us straight after university, and some come to us after having worked elsewhere.
We would love to hear from you if you have:
• a 2.1 degree in any discipline
• the right to work in the UK as an EEA, Commonwealth, Swiss or Turkish national; you’ll also need to pass security clearance
• the ability to get complex ideas across clearly and concisely, in writing and in person
• the ability to look at problems from different angles
• an interest in working in public policy
• the resilience to think flexibly and cope with changes to situations
• and priorities
• the ability to manage multiple stakeholders with differing viewpoints
In return, we can offer a stimulating and supportive environment working
with smart people who want to make a real difference throughout the UK.
You’ll enjoy a high level of responsibility from the very beginning, and
you’ll advise on policies that matter to everyone in the country.
Apply via the apply button below.
Sign up for job alerts - its free