ADDRESS CLIMATE CHANGE FROM THE HEART OF GOVERNMENT
In 2019 the UK became the first major economy in the world to legislate to become “net zero” carbon by 2050, meaning we’ll no longer be a net emitter of greenhouse gases which contribute to climate change. Achieving this ambition will also transform our economy - from the way we heat our homes, to the transport we use, to the way our industry operates. And it will bring a whole new set of exciting challenges.
To meet these challenges, we’re growing our team within the Energy Transformation and Clean Growth Group and Energy and Security Group. Together, these teams will lead our efforts to meet the Government’s commitment to net zero. Joining them, you’ll play a vital role in our sustainable future - and your work will impact for generations to come.
About the roles
Our work covers a wide variety of areas, from Science and Innovation for Climate and Energy, Industrial Energy, Energy Efficiency and the Smart Metering Programme, to Energy Development and Resilience, Clean Power Strategy and Energy Security - and more.
We offer a range of opportunities, with responsibilities varying from role to role.
Some of the work you might typically be involved in, includes:
- Contributing to policy development or delivery, working closely with the rest of the team.
- Working on taking new legislation through Parliament.
- Working collaboratively with analysts, other specialists and partners to assess the impacts of different policy options and develop delivery plans.
- Building specialist expertise for your policy area and advising Government Ministers on new ideas to build markets for energy efficiency or low carbon products.
- Engaging with international partners as we head towards the landmark UN climate in late 2020.
- Helping to handle the delivery of billions of pounds of investment
through grants, loans and other policy levers.
What we’re looking for
We’re recruiting to several roles and so we’re not looking for a single, fixed set of skills.
These roles require a diverse range of experience, and we encourage applications from those who bring transferrable skills gained in other fields and sectors.
We particularly welcome applications from people with previous experience or knowledge of energy and climate policy. This isn’t essential however, as long as you’re enthusiastic about this area of work and keen to work as part of a team.
Desirable skills and experience
These will vary by role, but include:
- Experience of solving problems and using evidence to support decisions
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to build and manage
relationships with both internal and external partners
Policy or project delivery experience is desirable but not required. However, you’ll need to demonstrate a desire to develop the right skills for the role.
Help make the UK a green economy
This is a fantastic opportunity to apply your skills, experience and enthusiasm to do what matters. You’ll be helping to drive fundamental change across every aspect of people’s lives and contributing to our international leadership. Above all, you’ll help us ensure we make this change in a way that’s fair to everyone in society and makes the most of economic opportunities for the UK. In return, you’ll enjoy the fantastic range of benefits the Civil Service has to offer.
Closing date: 1 March 2020.
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
At BEIS, we work to deliver the government’s vision at a time of momentous change. BEIS is a department at the heart of the government’s agenda, with an aim to deliver an economy that works for everyone.
Sign up for job alerts - its free