Powertrain Integration Industrial Placement - Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Powertrain Integration Industrial Placement
Brackley, United Kingdom
At the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team, a group of passionate and determined people work to design, develop, manufacture and race the cars driven by seven-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton and Grand Prix winner George Russell.
Whether working in our Operations, Technical, Race or Business Support functions, we are all in and aspire to build the greatest team in the history of our sport.
Every individual plays their part. No stone is left unturned in the chase for every tenth of a second. The history of our sport is long and rich, and we are continuing our journey with renewed effort year on year. Record books remember the names of a few, but history is written by the many.
About the Role:
The Powertrain Integration group forms part of the Design Office at Brackley and is responsible for the layout, design and management of a number of key -performance and reliability differentiators of the F1 car - namely the gearbox, hydraulics, PU cooling systems, fuel system, pneumatics and exhausts.
As an industrial placement student within our group, you will work alongside experienced engineers and take ownership of a variety of capability and design projects in support of our current and future powertrain programmes. The capability projects are longer-term across your placement and offer the ability to collaborate closely with our Build, Dyno and Test & Development departments to improve our reliability. The design activities will see you produce parts and manufacturing drawings as part of upgrade and fault-fix programmes – putting your stamp on our race car. We also support external high-performance engineering activities through our Applied Science division which offers exposure to applying our motorsport Powertrain skillsets to other applications, ranging from mass production automotive through to the Americas Cup competition.
Our group is structured in a way that we can accommodate both those who wish to specialise in a single Powertrain area, or those who wish to gain exposure to a number of specialisms with time - thus providing excellent career development opportunities to the right candidate. For this role we value behaviours and potential ahead of past experience, and all required training will be provided as part of the placement.
Successful candidates will have:
- A solid level of first-principles understanding of mechanics, and
problem-solving skills that give an ability to think on your feet.
• Communicative and collaborative skills to deliver effective cross-departmental results.
• Curious, committed to continuous learning, and ability to adapt quickly to change.
• At least one year left on their studies at the time of taking up the placement in July 2024
• Be studying a degree with relevance to engineering (e.g. Mechanical, Automotive, Aeronautical, Mechatronics, Physics).
- Experience and enjoyment of any of the following specialisms would be beneficial: Gear and bearing design, hydraulic systems, thermodynamics and cooling, electric motor design, composite materials design/manufacture, additive layer design/manufacture.
- Practical experience of building, maintaining and/or analysing motor/electric vehicles (for example – Formula Student, racing/volunteering in race series, kit car build).
- Coding and programming skills (for example: Python, Matlab, Modelica, VBA), including visualisation and working with big data.
- Affiliate membership of an engineering institution (e.g. IMechE, IM3, IET, IOP, RAeS).
- Track record of participation in outreach activities (e.g. volunteering, charity work, mentoring,, fund raising).
Our riverside campus is powered by 100% renewably sourced energy and features an on-site gym and exercise studio, subsidised restaurant and on-site parking with EV chargers available.
We offer a competitive and attractive package of benefits including private medical cover, annual heath assessments, life assurance, 25 days holiday and a trackside familiarisation day.
At the heart of our performance are our people. Every member of our team has a voice and plays their part in contributing to our successes on and off the racetrack.
Through our Accelerate 25 programme, we are continuously working to make our team even more diverse and inclusive. Whatever your background, we believe that you will find working with us rewarding and enriching.
We welcome applications from everyone and are committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining the best and most talented individuals. We will look to provide sponsorship to candidates who require a visa to live and work in the UK, subject to meeting all the necessary Home Office requirements.
Recruitment timings and process:
Typically, our Industrial Placements are for a thirteen-month period starting in July 2024.
All assessments in the recruitment process are in English: this is the primary language used within the organisation and you need a good level of written and spoken English in the Industrial Placement role.
This position is office-based, at our campus in Brackley, United Kingdom.
Please submit your cover letter and CV as one PDF. Candidates will also be asked to complete our Industrial Placement questionnaire as part of the application process. You may apply for more than one placement but please note that you will have to complete the questionnaire for each application.
Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team is the works team of Mercedes-Benz, competing at the pinnacle of motorsport – the FIA Formula One™ World Championship.