Restructuring Services Graduate Trainee - September 2023
Overview of the Advisory & Consulting service line
The Advisory & Consulting Service Line is a rapidly growing, award winning, global group of successful teams working together to present a go-to-market differentiator whilst delivering the highest quality of work for our clients.
If you are successful in securing a role on our training programme you will join a team of 600+ innovative specialists across a variety of sectors including Financial Services, Industry & Services, and Public Services with consultative expertise in Risk & Management Consulting, Internal Audit, Actuarial and all aspects of the Tech & Digital space. Our Advisory teams are at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and creditor advisory services; all with the aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a range of financial issues as one collaborative team.
An introduction to our Restructuring Services rotation programme
As part of our unique Restructuring Services training programme, you will be offered the opportunity to rotate through various business areas within our market leading teams.
- Formal Insolvency
- Solvent Liquidations
- National Bankruptcy
- Contentious Investigation team
- Dividend and Closure team
- Client Services
As you rotate you will have the opportunity to work across a range of industries from large corporations to owner managed business to private clients. We also advise in many different sectors both in the UK and around the world.
Your time will usually be split between working with the team, our clients and studying for your professional exams.
You will learn to provide high-quality investigations, draft accurate advice, prepare expert reports, models, and testimony on financial and accountancy matters. You will develop the capability to advise and help clients buy and sell businesses or raise debt / equity finance. Your involvement will include participation in pitches and proposals through to deal completion. You will have the opportunity to help businesses and their stakeholders by providing advice in respect of business underperformance, or at the early stages of distress, to help achieve the best outcome for creditors as part of an Administration or Liquidation process. These are just some examples of the interesting and varied work we will engage you in during your training with our team.
We are now operating a hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams.
During your first year you will:
- Join and rotate across one the Restructuring Services departments (see above)
- Undertake in-depth financial analysis and document reviews, working closely with managers and partners to support the preparation of reports.
- Gain experience in assisting with asset recovery, strategy implementation, stakeholder engagement and distributions to creditors.
- Prepare targeted data for report drafting and correspondence
- Assist managers and partners by preparing tables, charts, exhibits and appendices for inclusion in reports.
- Develop an understanding of a variety of financial and accounting disputes in numerous sectors.
- Produce high quality research / presentation packs for meetings with existing and prospective clients including market and deal research, valuation multiples and potential buyers / acquisition targets.
- Assist on building financial models and undertaking financial analysis.
- Take ownership of administration tasks across all aspects of an Insolvency situation
- Communicate with third party agents and intermediaries such as solicitors, property agents, insurers and employment specialists.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from targets whilst also building rapport with clients.
- Assist experienced colleagues with the management of their portfolio of cases, including matters of asset realisation, learning to apply statutory forms and meticulously comply with statutory procedures.
During your second year you will:
- Take ownership of drafting sections of a report allocated to you.
- Self-review own work, ensuring it is client ready and consistent with the expected house styles and quality.
- Aid less experienced team members.
- Attend meetings with stakeholders contributing on specific aspects of deals, such as buyers list and marketing document sections.
- Support project management by ensuring the set timetable is followed by all parties involved (including other financial/legal advisors).
- Gain experience in financial portfolio managements of cases, cashiering and risk management.
- Be a point of contact for clients and third parties throughout projects.
- Gain experience in complex negotiations and strategy implementation
- Understand reasons for financial failure and options assessments
- Prepare documents and research for business development meetings with key intermediaries.
- Support the team in its business development and marketing activities.
- Effectively balance multiple projects and responsibilities.
In your final year you will take on more responsibility in the form of your own portfolio of cases reporting directly to experienced individuals within the team. You will be expected to take responsibility for larger sections of expert reports, or for the entirety of a smaller project, ensuring completion delivery within stated deadlines. This will include actively participating in both team and client meetings and taking responsibility for the budget of the project and active participation in some marketing and business development activities.
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Ability to communicate professionally both internally and externally orally and in writing.
- Analytical skills: the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Robust sense of ethical duties and dealing with difficult and sometimes emotional situations
- Ability to work effectively in a team with a strong affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, inclusion and diversity, and integrity.
- Ability to work under pressure whilst recognising the deadline or urgency to be dealt with.
- Ability to make confident and clear presentations.
Strong academic performance is important; however, we understand that things don't always go to plan. Our recruitment process looks at your whole self – academic achievements as well as other experiences in which you have grown and developed. We balance your academic results alongside the aptitude assessment within our recruitment process to ensure that you will be successful in your role with us.
We will fund your study towards the CFAB, CPI and JIEB qualifications.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualifications over an expected 5 year period. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. You will also be allocated a buddy, who will support you to settle into the team and navigate your first year at Mazars.
- Annual Leave +
- Charitable Giving
- Dental Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits
- Virtual GP
- Cycle to Work
- Gym Discounts
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits +
If you are interested in a career in professional services, we can offer you an exciting head start by joining one of our trainee schemes for school or college leavers.
Elsewhere on graduatejobs
Related :restructuring graduate trainee september mazars
People who applied for this job also applied for:
Graduate Business Intelligence Consultant
London, Scotland, Yorkshire, Glasgow, Leeds
Graduate Data Management Consultant – paid to train
£34k Starting Salary
Commercial Graduate Programme
Jaguar Land Rover
South East, West Midlands, Warwick, Whitley
Graduate Data Engineer – paid to train
£34k Starting Salary
Sponsored Milwaukee Field Marketing Executives - Graduate Leadership Programme 2022
£27,000 + branded company vehicle
South East, South West, London, North West, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Nationwide
Trainee Reinsurance Analyst, European Operations