Risk Consulting Graduate Trainee (Internal Audit - Financial Services)
Overview of the Advisory & Consulting service line
The Advisory & Consulting Service Line is a rapidly growing, award winning, global group of successful teams working together to present a go-to-market differentiator whilst delivering the highest quality of work for our clients.
If you are successful in securing a role on our training programme you will join a team of 600+ innovative specialists across a variety of sectors including Financial Services, Industry & Services, and Public Services with consultative expertise in Risk & Management Consulting, Internal Audit, Actuarial and all aspects of the Tech & Digital space. Our Advisory teams are at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and creditor advisory services; all with the aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a range of financial issues as one collaborative team.
An introduction to our Financial Services Risk Consulting team
The Financial Services Risk Consulting Team provides internal audit and other risk based services to a range of financial services clients and is one of the largest providers within the sector.
The Team works with clients across the sector including within asset & wealth management, banking, and insurance. Primarily, the team provides outsourced and co-sourced internal audit services, however also provides (or supports other teams with the delivery of) a range of risk-based engagements including ISAE & SOX audits, board effectiveness reviews and external quality assessments, to name but a few.
The primary role of a Risk Consulting Trainee within Financial Services is to support or lead the delivery of internal audit engagements, reviewing a client's operations and providing recommendations that add value, proportionate, and in line with industry best practice.
We are now operating a hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams. The team operates a ‘core days' approach, whereby everyone attends the office on either of the two core days defined
During your first year you will:
- Learn how to undertake fieldwork using a range of tools and methods in order to review and provide recommendations on the client's business operations;
- In conjunction with other members of the team, perform internal audit fieldwork remotely and at client sites, testing and reviewing exposure to risk and the effectiveness of the controls in place to mitigate risks;
- Engage directly with clients in understanding the business processes, controls, and risks affecting their business;
- Start to develop a thorough understanding of the nature of the clients' business, industry best practice, and applicable regulations;
- Be able to obtain relevant information from clients whilst building effective rapport with clients' staff; and
During your second year you will:
- Develop greater autonomy and independence, executing audits under the guidance of a Manager;
- Lead on key client interactions such as planning on feedback meetings, liaising with a range of stakeholders including C-suite executives;
- Support SMEs and senior member so the team with more challenging technical audits, including consulting engagements,
- Undertake further training to enhance your skillset such as the use of data analytics tools;
- Start to work with client managers to develop and plan assignments, developing a deeper understanding of our clients
As a Senior within the team, you will be expected to take responsibility for the end-to-end audit process, including leading on client interactions and supporting client managers to contribute to overall engagement success. The breadth of the work undertaken by the Team and its close links to our consulting practice means there are a range of development opportunities for talented individuals. These including starting to develop client portfolio management skills or working with our consulting practice to delivery technical engagements.
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Communication skills: the ability to articulate your ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively in both verbal and written forms.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity
Strong academic performance is important; however, we understand that things don't always go to plan. Our recruitment process looks at your whole self – academic achievements as well as other experiences in which you have grown and developed. We balance your academic results alongside the aptitude assessment within our recruitment process to ensure that you will be successful in your role with us.
We will fund your study towards the CFAB qualification (the first six modules of the ACA qualification). You will then be given the opportunity to continue your ACA or switch to the IRM qualification (working towards the International Certificate in Enterprise Risk Management and then the International Diploma in Risk Management).
You will receive a full study package to support you to successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. You will also be allocated a buddy, who will support you to settle into the team and navigate your first year at Mazars.
- Annual Leave +
- Charitable Giving
- Dental Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits
- Virtual GP
- Cycle to Work
- Gym Discounts
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits +
If you are interested in a career in professional services, we can offer you an exciting head start by joining one of our trainee schemes for school or college leavers.
Elsewhere on graduatejobs
Related :risk consulting graduate trainee internal audit financial mazars
People who applied for this job also applied for:
Graduate Business Intelligence Consultant
London, Scotland, Yorkshire, Glasgow, Leeds
Graduate Data Engineer – paid to train
£34k Starting Salary
Graduate Software Developer (No coding experience required)
Graduate Data Management Consultant – paid to train
£34k Starting Salary
Trainee Recruitment Consultant
£24,000 to 40,000 OTE year one
Spencer Ogden Ltd
London, International, International (Europe)
Risk Consulting Graduate Trainee (Internal Audit - Public and Social Sectors) - September 2023